2017 has come to an end and 2018 has already begun. With a new year, I am ready to take the things I’ve learned to heart. I am ready to complete the trilogy for my “25 Things” blog. Here are the last 10 things I learned in 2017 and plan to remember for this new year:
16. Speak Up – let this year BE your year! It’s time to tell people what you want and say what you feel. Enough with being afraid. Take chances. Speak up if something doesn’t feel right. Speak up for someone that may need a louder voice than their own. Speak up if something feels right (if you have feelings for someone… Tell Them!) Nothing can/will happen if you don’t take action. I encourage you all to pick something that is important to you and choose to speak up about this year. Shout it out if you want… I’d love to hear you roar (Joshua 1:9)
17. Be Spontaneous – I challenge each of us to do something spontaneous this year! It doesn’t need to be Crazy or over the top… it can be as simple as Packing a lunch in your backpack & hiking a new trail, filling up the gas tank and just taking a drive somewhere new for the day or a weekend. Splurge and treat yourself to dinner at that fancy restaurant you’ve been wanting to try. Anything new and different! Don’t Overthink it… Just do it! Have Fun 🙂 I am leaning towards a spontaneous weekend-getaway… oops am i planning my spontaneous outing? yikes!! SMH
18. Take the PJ’s or Sweats Off – This is a tip for couples. Your SO doesn’t need to come home from work and see you in your fave sweats and over sized college tee that you seem to wear 5 ( – 7?) days a week. Spice it up! Surprise him with a home-cooked dinner w/you rocking a cocktail dress and heels one evening. Or put on your favorite “going out” outfit and take your man to his favorite burger joint. It will be fun & who knows…it may give your him the idea to do something special for you?? keep me posted ❤
19. Do What You Love and Love What You Do – Most of us have to work. But our job/career shouldn’t have to be boring or feel like a requirement. It is a necessity for providing for yourself and your family. The money is important, but does it have to be more important than doing what you love? I’m a teacher because I love it. I love working with kids and it challenges me every day. I encourage you to reflect about where you are in your career. Are you happy? Do you love what you do? I hope the answer is yes (at least 80% of the time… no job is perfect) my answer is a YES! It definitely helps that I have an amazing team to work with! If your answer is a NO? then maybe re think your job/career and do what it takes to make it better for you… or make a change all together if you can. If a job change isn’t in your future – Try adding something you love doing outside of your job. I wish you the Best & would love to hear what your are up to.
MY TEAM 🙂
20. Treat Someone – Its always fun to treat yourself, But it is also nice to treat others. Treat that special person in your life who always has your back! The person who is by your side through the good & the bad. Show them you appreciate them. Of course my special someone is my Hubby. He is the very best and I could not imagine doing life without him. I recently treated Dakota (& me 🙂 to flying First Class on our flight back from Texas to Denver. He Loved It! xoxo
21. Stop Looking at the Past – It’s time to move on. I struggle with this a lot and need to really work on it. I am working on it!! I’ve challenged myself to stop focusing on what has happened in my life and focus on what is happening. staying in the now and the future. It’s way more refreshing! Bring on 2018 Woo Hoo! I hope it is your best year yet.
22. Be Kind – Let’s focus on the good and throw out the bad. Pick at least one act of kindness this year. Donate to charity (for real). Contribute to that friend’s family member’s GoFundMe page. Go out of your way to help someone bring in their groceries. Pay it forward at the Starbucks you go to every day. Call your grandma and ask how she is doing. Write a postcard to your best friend. Thank your co-worker for always being willing to help you out. Let’s be kinder to one another. Go out of you way or just do something simple. Share your acts of kindness on here or Facebook!
23. Give Yourself a Break – Stop panicking about messing up. So what? We all mess up. I’m a teacher and I mess up every day. You don’t have to be perfect at your job, you just need to do your best. You don’t have to be a perfect parent, but you need to be there for your kids. So you said something you shouldn’t have said? Apologize and move on. The ball is in their court. If they can’t forgive, they aren’t worth it. Maybe you work too much. Take a break. Leave work early. Take a vacation day. 2018 is time for all of us to take time to relax and know that we don’t have to be perfect. Post a picture of you taking your break!
24. Be Ready for LIFE/marriage – Most of my circle of friends are in their 20’s. We are still just fresh out of college and it’s time to begin your LIFE. My mailbox seems to be full of Save the Dates and invites. Social media bombards us with pictures of New Careers, Engagements & baby announcements. Believe me, I know ALL about it. When Dakota and I got engaged, my Facebook probably annoyed many of my single friends. It was an exciting time. I had never been engaged before and social media was where I chose to share everything little detail about it. My point is – even though your social media is blowing up with job promotions, engagements and weddings, doesn’t mean you’re “falling behind”. Don’t rush LIFE or LOVE. Make sure you wait until you are ready! You will know when the time is right. Don’t let other peoples lives influence or pressure you. Enjoy where you are to day and trust what your future holds for you. Don’t get me wrong or misunderstand me… I love seeing/hearing ALL about your LIFE and will be the first to congratulate you on all of your exciting announcements. Please continue to share. I look forward to like, love, and congratulate you on all your milestones in 2018.
25. Love Who You Are – We may be getting older and should be getting wiser right?? But we can still have insecurities. It is hard not to focus on the things we are not great at instead of our strengths. I hope you will join me and make the decision to appreciate ourselves as individuals and be happy with who we are. I am going to remind myself of this every time I have to order takeout because my dinner did not turn out edible or when I have to redo my bulletin board at school because it just does not look right. etc etc. just gotta love ME! LOL
Like always, thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed the 3 parts of my 25 Things and hope you take some of these to heart. Comment below with the ones you want to work on this year. 25 may be too many to focus on at one time, so share the ones that you connect with the most. I hope you’re ready to start 2018! I know I am!
Photo Cred: Dakota Moore